Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Smokin' Hot

Whenever most people are on a diet, they frequently say things like, "When I'm all thin and sexy..", "Just wait until I'm hot and skinny..", and other references to being some form of small and a sex goddess.   I'll be honest, I dream about the day I can give Jessica Biel a run for her money and make Justin Timberlake see what he's been missing all these years.   (Don't tell my husband I said that.)  Though it's definitely motivation to lose weight, it's not ALL about that.  


My father's side of the family has an abysmal health history:  childhood diabetes, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease.  In my paternal grandmother's family, four of the five siblings (including my grandmother) have died from some form of cancer.  My own father had a heart attack at 32 (though he suffered no permanent damage to his heart, thank God).  My mother's side is ridiculously healthy.  My great-grandfather lived to be 94, and my great-grandmother is still kicking at 95 and is healthier than most people.  I've always hoped I inherited my mother's family's good health genes and that my dad's side somehow miraculously didn't transfer.  Not likely.


I'm 27 with two small children.  I want to someday be 60 with grandchildren, 80 with great-grandchildren.   If I want to make it that long, I can't be large and in charge.  I've got to be healthy and fit.    This is something that has kept me up nights, worrying about whether or not I'd live to see my kids grow up.  You shouldn't have to think about things like that at 27.  I'm not going to anymore.  


Also, when I began seriously changing up my eating habits, I realized just how much junk we allow our kids to eat.  It's awful.  I told my husband that it's up to us to instill in our kids an active lifestyle and healthy eating habits, otherwise one day they're going to wake up 27 and 280 pounds.  I don't want that for my kids.  I don't want them to spend summers wishing Fall would come so they don't have to wear a swimsuit.  I don't want them hating school dances because they have to shop in plus-size departments for ugly old lady dresses while their girlfriends get to show off in skimpy little pieces of fabric.  I don't want them to feel insecure and ugly and worthless.  I've been there and done that.  I refuse to let it happen to my kids.  


I refuse.  


So no, it's not just about being smokin' hot.  It's about being around for my kids, and ensuring they live a happy and healthy life.  

8 comments:

  1. Being smoking hot is just a by-product of being healthy. Health should always be the primary concern. It seems you have your priorities straight.

    Good luck to you and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good point, Bea. I think sometimes it's easy to lose sight of why we're really doing this. I think too, that no matter how our kids grow up, just making sure they feel good about themselves and don't grow up hating their bodies will make a big difference in their self esteem. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the post I needed to read today.

    Thanks, friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Bea! I know you can do this. You are determined and motivated. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspirational post....and it's good to hear someone doing it for the right reasons

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would rather be happy and healthy then thin and smokin hot hell I have never been smokin hot and I know I never will be so I do not think about those things I am just happy to enjoy my life and my family............

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep in mind that money is the motivating factor for most companies are only about making income.playbazaar As you get yourself ready to go in for interviews, and even as you finish up your resume, satta king figure out how you can word things to show how your talents could lead to additional revenue for your potential employers.

    ReplyDelete