Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It's so good, you forget it's good for you!

So last week I was a total dimwit and forgot about my post day until it had come and gone.  Such a shame.

Anyhoo, I've had a productive week.  I'm 28 pounds down, which means I've only lost one pound in the last two weeks, but that's probably because for my mother's birthday I ate cake and ice cream.  Twice.  Okay, it was three times.  Sheesh, stop judging me!  (I know you're not judging me.)

I have been on the search for new low-fat recipes that the hubs and kids will like so I don't have to make two separate meals every freaking day.  Also, I don't want to get bored with the foods I've been eating.  I have tried out a few, but one of the best I've found so far is called "White Chicken Chili."  I actually got it from a cousin.  Here's the ingredients:

2 cans white whole kernel corn
2 cans great northern beans
1 packet white chicken chili seasoning (McCormick)
4 chicken breasts --or if you're super lazy you can use canned chicken
1 regular can cream of chicken
1 small Velveeta cheese
1 small sour cream

You boil the chicken, then cube/slice/shred it (however you prefer - I shred).  Drain corn and beans (beans will have a thick juice, so you don't have to drain it all). Throw everything into a pot except for the sour cream.  Cook on medium heat for about 30-45 minutes until the beans are cooked.  Add sour cream, mix well, serve.
Source:  community.cookinglight.com

I wanted to make this a little healthier, so I used the low sodium, 98% fat free soup, 2% Velveeta and light sour cream.  This was delicious and super-filling.  One small bowl is about 315 calories.

You feel like you're cheating your ass off because it's got so much in it and it's SO GOOD.  I think of it as tricking the mind and the belly.  Plus you can throw the extra in the fridge and eat on it for two or three days.

If you try it out, let me know what you think!

5 comments:

  1. My aunt made something like this when she was visiting one time. Scared the hell out of me. White turkey chili?! Pass. But to be polite I had a bowl and it was delicious. I disparaged no more.

    I just may give this a whirl some time soon!

    And congrats on your weight loss! That's really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delicious !!! but you can get canned chicken? really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! Looks delish! I think I'll post a recipe next week too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good... I may try it next time I feel creative.

    ReplyDelete