Monday, March 19, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Success Story

Adare Manor in Ireland. How gorgeous is this? source

First off, how was everyone's St. Patrick's Day? It's a fun holiday isn't it? I love the color green so finding something to wear was no problem. I love beer (not the icky green kind though). I love Irish food. I love my girl Poke the Rock who lives in Ireland. I dig castles and I'm pretty sure they have a fuckton of those in Ireland. I think I would love Ireland in general if I went there. So thank you Ireland for giving us this kick-ass holiday where we can eat, drink and be merry!

Yum! source

The only problem with St. Patrick's Day, as with all holidays, is the eating and drinking part, right? Well kids, I am here to tell you that I did pretty damn good this year. Anyone who follows me on Twitter saw the photo of what I ate that day (and if you aren't following me on Twitter shame on you! Get with it!), which was corned beef, cabbage and a boiled potato. The great thing about Irish food for the dieter is that a lot of it is boiled, so it's a lot better for you than what we do on holidays in Texas. We're talking fried fish and shrimp, hot links, potato salad, mac and cheese and sweet tea. Yum! Where was I?
Brewed in Kansas City, MO. It's delicious! source

Oh yeah. Irish food. So I had about half that plate of food that I Tweeted, so way to go Margot (my inner skinny chick)! You rocked it, Sweetheart. Oh you noticed that pint of Irish Ale next to my plate in the picture did ya? Umm... it wasn't mine? It was that fucking leprechaun! He put it there. Yeah. That's it. *cough* Not buying it are you? Okay, okay I had the damn beer AND it was 10:30 in the morning. Shut up and don't judge me. It's all right because after we had our Irish "breakfast" we walked a mile to the parade. So ha!

Bagpipers from the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Wichita. source

At the sub-par Wichita parade, there was weird shit, like a truck that said something about an Ladies Oriental Shrine and then had no Asian people on the fucking float. Umm...weird right? There were also highlights like a group of drag queens (which I love!) that were followed directly by some Republican political candidate. That made my whole day, y'all. So afterward, we walked the mile back to our car, ran a bunch of errands and went home.

Woohoo!!!

So, since I walked 2 freaking miles, I figure I did pretty damn well this week. It is so difficult for me to do things like that and I paid dearly for it yesterday, but it was a good day with the husband and a handful of drunken hipsters on bicycles. I may not have been perfect, but dammit I tried.

How did y'all do this weekend? Any drunken party stories? Please say yes. Please say yes. I hope you were all very careful with your partying and either took a taxi or had a designated driver because I like y'all and want to keep you around awhile okay? Happy Monday!

16 comments:

  1. "We're talking fried fish and shrimp, hot links, potato salad, mac and cheese and sweet tea. Yum! Where was I?"

    You were in the middle of making me drool- literally. I'm full of drool for some reason and that all sounds delicious.

    Way to go on cutting back on the food to make room for the beer!

    I didn't participate this year. I went to a wings place and gazed at everyone drinking green beer and my bff drinking bloody marys and I chugged water and threw down on a pulled pork sandwich and french fries with ranch. I didn't portion either- I ate every bit of it and it was delicious. NO REMORSE! Beside, it's for my little lentil. Since I'm getting some fabulous *not* food aversions, I don't mind eating not so well in some things, since I'm making up for it by not eating a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey getting down a bunch of water is awesome! It's a good thing you didn't participate in the drinking part at least or I'd have to kick your butt, girl! Hahaha!

      You're doing a great job. Mwah!

      Delete
  2. Last week, I gave myself a side eye when I drank a wine cooler at 9:30am. After reading your beer at 10:30, I don't feel so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And congratulations on your food success!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! I figured that it was a holiday so it was okay.

      Thank you so much, my sweet girl!

      Delete
  3. I was drinking but nothing exciting happened. I drank alone. I didn't eat the tradition Irish cuisine but I did fire up the grill and ever so slowly cooked me up some ribs...with a side of pulled pork! And let me tell you, those ribs slid off the bone like a slab of butter on a hot spud! And the bbq....mmmmm! Smoked to perfection and delicious!

    Ok...I'm done with my temptation test. Tell me, did you pass or are you craving some ribs now?

    Mean = funny, for me it does. I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always crave BBQ, my friend. I think it's something in my Texan DNA. BBQ sauce instead of blood. Hahaha!

      Now send me some ribs... stat!

      Delete
  4. Good job! I had my kids this weekend so my st. Paddy's day celebrating consisted of a good-luck bear t-shirt and listening to the dropkick Murphys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! Hey, you know how I feel about Dropkick Murphys. LOVE!

      Delete
  5. happy belated St Paddy's day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo that ale looks fun!! Lol I never warmed up to corned beef though, and oddly enough no one in my fam in Ireland knows what it is.... :/ Something the immigrants cooked up when they arrived, I guess! I had a very un-Irish St. Paddy's meal--an entire rack of ribs.
    -___-

    Sounds like you had a great St Patrick's Day!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious! Hey ribs are always good in my opinion. Yummy!!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fantastic St. Paddy's Day! We didn't really celebrate because we had a family birthday party to go to, but all of the kiddos were dressed in green so that was pretty cute.

    I think walking the 2 miles more than made up for the beer and food (which looks pretty delicious, btw). Way to go!

    ReplyDelete